This late summer dish is tasty as well as beautiful. A bold contrast between sour, cold and crisp radishes and warm and soft cauliflower makes this arrangement a perfect starter or light dinner. Sometimes, when I feel that I need an extra proteins-portion, I serve this dish with beluga lentils. Mind-blowing!
Pickling radish is such an easy adventure with pretty results you can use as an add-on for various meal-combinations: with some freshly baked bread and herbs-butter for breakfast, as a side-bite with a beans stew, as a filling for your tacos etc. The whole radish pickling method takes only 20 min. and if you don`t eat everything you made within one day (like I did!) you can store this beauties in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. With time they’ll start to lose they crisp consistence and pink color, but don’t worry: pickling radishes with this method doesn’t make them taste like a rubber. I call this method “shortly”, because you don’t have to preserve radish in addition.
Cauliflower. A brain plant. Just put the whole head with some spices into the hot oven, bake it for a half an hour and slice it into fine “steak” pieces. Serve with pickled radish, beluga lentils, smoked goat cheese and enjoy!
Shortly pickled radish
Ingredients (makes 1 glass à 500 ml):
200 g radish, washed (if radish are too big, halve them)
250 ml white vine vinegar
200 ml water
1 Tsp sucanat, brown sugar or coconut sugar
a pinch of salt
5 pimento berries
7 black pepper corns
2 bay leaves
1. In small pot combine vinegar, coconut sugar, salt and 200 ml water. Place over the low temperature and while constantly stirring, heat everything until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add pimento berries, pepper corns and bay leaves and cook everything for 5 minutes.
2. Put the radish in the screw-top jar. Pour them with the hot liquid and let cool. Close the jar and storage in refrigerator for up to two weeks. You can eat radishes within few hours, but they taste better after at least 2 days.
1 medium-sized cauliflower
2 tsp. apple vinegar
1 tsp. paprika powder
Salt and freshly grounded pepperDirections:
1. Preheat the oven on 180 degrees. Remove the outer leaves of cauliflower, let some of the nice leaves sit on. Put cauliflower into an ovenproof dish and drizzle with, apple vinegar, paprika, salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Bake the cauliflower in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180 degrees until the cauliflower has got a nice golden color and tender but still with good bite in the middle.
3. Take the cauliflower out of oven and cut into fine “steak” pieces.
Shortly Pickled Radish with Cauliflower Steaks- Ensamble
1 handful of fresh thyme
2 tsp. olive oil
1 handful of cooked beluga lentils (if desired)
70 g smoked goat cheese, finely sliced
1. Over the serving plate spread warm cauliflower steaks. Cover them with finely sliced pickled radish and fresh thyme. If you use it add some cooked beluga lentils and/or smoked goat cheese. Drizzle everything with olive oil and serve!